We welcome everyone to St. Thomas’s as we begin a new program year that will offer many opportunities for worship and service.
The first major event will be our 175th anniversary service on Sunday, September 24, at 9:30 am, followed by a celebratory coffee hour. We will give thanks for 175 years of worship and service in Newark, and commit ourselves to continuing to worship and serve God at St. Thomas’s. The event offers an opportunity to support the Newark Empowerment Center by providing go-bags of meals or financial donations.
On the first four Sundays of October, we will highlight our ministries at the coffee hours—a “Rolling Rally Day” format. Please visit the displays and consider how you might deepen your involvement at St. Thomas’s. Maybe it’s time to try something new this year!
We are now in the last two months of Father Paul’s service with us and are preparing for what will come next.
- We are beginning to prepare for his final Sunday on October 29. His preferences are modest—the services that Sunday will be as they usually are, at his request. We will give thanks to him and Marilyn for their service, and send them off to their new life, at a gala coffee hour/reception after the 10:30 service. We will be accepting contributions for a gift for Father Paul and Marilyn. We will give Marilyn a nice gift, and the balance will be given to Father Paul and Marilyn to donate to charities of their choice, at their request. If you would like to write a letter or note to them, that would be welcome. The Transition Committee is coordinating the event, but participation and assistance from everyone will be welcomed. More information will be coming.
- The Rev. Elizabeth Masterson, who heard the call to ordained ministry at St. Thomas’s, will be our supply priest in November and December. She will also do some pastoral care. Her first Sunday will be November 5. We look forward to having her with us for those two months.
- The vestry is working towards hiring an interim rector, who will begin in early 2018. The vestry is also very close to engaging our consultant for the search process.
- The Transition Committee has been appointed. The current members are Barbara Eldred, Debbie Grabowski, Cana Hartman, Donna Rotandi, and Justin Sausville. If anyone is interested in joining this committee, please contact me.
- The Search Committee will be recruited this fall and begin their work early in 2018.
Worship and service—that’s what St. Thomas’s is all about as we seek to live into our mission statement: Nourished at Christ’s table and stepping forward in faith, we are instruments of God’s love, serving our parish family, the University of Delaware, our community, and God’s creation.
Thank you for your support of St. Thomas’s. Please keep the church in your prayers.